Sunday, December 16, 2012

Choosing the Light

I have a 5 year old daughter. I don't know if all of you know that. 


So even though Friday's unspeakable events didn't happen to me, they still happened. 
I didn't spend time finding out the details. 
I just wept.

I felt so impotent against such great darkness.

And for a second there, I was filled with despair. 

And then I remembered the song "Hands" by Jewel. If you've forgotten it, here is the video.


I have always loved this song. It fills me with hope even in the most extreme situations. 

It's the line 
"I will not be idle with despair". 

It moves me from horror to action. 
And I think there is tremendous power in action spurred from love.

I have decided that I CAN do something to help. I can gather light to people. 

image from the RecycledLightCompany on Etsy

I can hope that somehow, in some unexpected way, God will cause something 
miraculous to rise out of the ashes of that community. I am fasting and praying for this today, 
for experience has taught me that great things can come from the willing sacrifice of others. It makes me feel empowered again. And has filled me with a desire to fight back against the darkness.

 I WILL NOT BE IDLE WITH DESPAIR

I am going to have a Merry Christmas and make sure that all those around me do as well. I am going to keep creating art and helping other people to create things and reach for their potential. I am going to put as much energy and light and love into my children and all those other kids around me. I am going to donate to my local fire department. I will decorate my house so that people smile when they walk by.

I am going to invite all the 5 year olds in the neighborhood over to decorate cookies. 

Because this will bring them joy. 


So, remember that Darkness cannot abide nor over come the Light.



Go into the world and be kind and happy.
For in the end.......only kindness matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment