Friday, September 21, 2018

Digging Out The Studio Week 8: Whipping Things into Shape

I usually feed the Sisters lunch when they come and help me. I rarely plan the meal before hand, and they have been very enthusiastic about whatever I manage to cobble together. This week they scored. We had pie for dessert. And at my house, no pie is complete without a little whipped cream.

This was a funny week. The sisters were feeling a bit silly. Maybe because it was mid summer, or because we had been doing this for so long. Maybe it was because I made them scrub cabinet doors the week before. Who knows. But Sister Anderson was very keen to show us her mad whipped cream skills. Apparently she has perfected a technique where she sprays a dollop of whipped cream on her arm and then flings it into her mouth by smacking her arms one on top of the other. I promise it looks more coherent than it sounds.


She did eventually get it in her mouth. And then she got the great idea that Sister Kleven should try to use her arm to fling the whipped cream into her (Sister Anderson's) mouth. 

Major hyjinx ensued. I do not think this was the first take.


Nothing like your companion "helping you" enjoy some whipped cream.


We did eventually put the whipped cream back in the fridge and go downstairs to work.

When I looked at Week 8's pictures, it took me a sec to figure out what we did, because I have them doing two different things at the same time in two different places. This is a "no." Missionary companions must remain in the same room with each other and being in eyesight of each other is preferred.  And these girls are far too obedient to break mission rules. 

That's when I realized that Sister Anderson was outside on my patio, not in the studio. Sister Kleven is right on the other side of the glass door in the playroom, sitting at the craft table, about 10 ft away and with full visual contact. Total compliance. We even cracked open the sliding glass door so we could talk back and forth. 


What you are seeing above is Sister Anderson making one of my silly little dreams come true. A neighbor of mine had taken some trees down in their back yard, and I asked for a slice 2 inches thick to use as a base for a centerpiece for my dining room table. They brought me the requested slice, and it was perfect, except for one thing. It was only level on one side .The other side had a very distinct slope, making it worthless for the project I had intended it for. Sigh. 

A few visits to Pinterest later, I found a great idea. (Check it out here.) Someone clever had drilled regularly spaced holes in a slice of wood and used it to store colored pencils. Brilliant! I wanted one immediately. So of course, the slab of wood sat in my studio for about two years. And that was after it sat in my dining room for a year. 

I had already decided that the Sisters were going to finish the mending and craft projects that I wanted to do, but hadn't ever gotten to. So Sister Anderson got the wood slab, a piece of chalk, and the drill. If you look carefully, you can see the nice spiral she drew as a guide to help her drill in the right places. You gotta love detail oriented slave labor. And it turned out awesome! It has become one of my New Favorite Things.


Sister Kleven got a glue gun and all my things that needed to be re-glued. The only project I can remember off the top of my head was a Mardi Gras mask that needed to have its rhinestones reattached.  It turned out fabulously and I was not even surprised that Sister Kleven is a wiz with a glue gun. That girl has serious crafting skilz.


The final project we worked on that day dealt with the stars that Sister Kleven has grown to know so well. (you can read more about them here) We needed to hang them over the newly painted Mid Century sideboard. I put Sister Kleven to work measuring the distance from the tip of the stars to when the Command hook would sit on the star's wire hanger so we knew how high to place the base for the Command hook. Look how sassy and accurate she is!



They make it look so easy. And I love that Sister Kleven is standing on an ottoman to be taller. I do have step stools in the studio, about 20 steps away. Then again, maybe I was being paranoid about the sideboard getting scratched. 

What you are not seeing in this picture is the comedy of errors that was the three of us on stools and tip toes, each holding up stars, trying to decide if they were in the right place or not. Sadly, there was no way to shoot that, since all of us were using all our hands and wits to hold things up and not fall over.

The good news is we got all those stars on the wall. The bad news is that one of them was just a tiny bit off, so I didn't take a picture of the completed wall. I ended up moving it to the right place within the week, but didn't take a picture then either. You will just have to wait to see it until the room is done. Sorry. But take my word. It looks so much better than it did before we started all this. So much better.

Are you all moving your projects forward this week? Or do you have mad whipped cream skills? Tell us all about it in the comments below. We'd love to hear from you. 

Talk to you soon 

CM Shaw



No comments:

Post a Comment