Friday, November 16, 2018

Art and Nature in Colored Pencil

So this week, I started yet another art adventure. I signed up for a class online through JeanneOliver.com . The one I am taking is called "Art and Nature in Colored Pencil" and it is taught by Kelly Hoernig. So far I am pretty impressed. There is an interactive Facebook board for the students to post what they are working on for critic, instructor input, etc. It is such an easy to use interface. And I love having a built in excuse to go walking to look for leaves and then to be able to justify spend the next two hours drawing them. I started with this still life, before I read any of the directions:


My youngest added the feather after I finished drawing for the day. 
Here is my version of this vignette:


I love the clam shell. I am on the fence about the marbles. I like the veining on the leaf a lot. I hate the shadows and the key. But I figure, it's not too bad considering I hadn't used these pencils before, I had no direction, and I hadn't drawn photo-realism in 5 months.

So after this point, the course directions opened and I actually watched the video tutorials provided by the instructor. She encourages a layered approach, letting soft layers of color build up. Very funny, if you know me. I go all bold all the time. So I suppose I will learn a lot. Here is attempt #1 at subtle color layering. The leaf was lighter colored when it was fresh. I promise I am not that lame.: 


Here's a better view. Sorry about the weird angle.


I love how the shadows play such a subtle but powerful role in the whole piece. For some reason, it has never occurred to me to pay attention to shadows before. I was also pretty happy with the color layering. I wish I could figure out how to make the color a little more intense. 

Our next lesson asked us to add an artistic implement to our leaf composition. The hard texture was harder for me to render, for some reason:






I am pretty happy with the results. But things are still a bit paler than I am comfortable with. And I need to spend a bit more time drawing smooth, hard shiny things. I think using a straight edge to draw my pencil sides may also be a major improvement.


Anyway, that's what I've been doing artistically this week. What are you all up to? 
Taking any classes or learning any new mediums?


Talk to you soon,

CM Shaw

1 comment:

  1. These are so cool! We'll have to talk about our respective creative projects. I love that you're taking this class and learning about colored pencils. I admire that you're always learning. It makes you one of the most interesting people I know.

    ReplyDelete